Creating A Tableau Word Cloud From Text Message data
Data visualization is considered visual communication in todays modern world. It is viewed as a branch of descriptive statistics by some people. Basically it is the visual representation of data. I would say it is both a science and an art.
Tableau Desktop is a software for data visualization. It’s basically a tool created from the Tableau Software company headquartered in Seattle, Washington that allows for easy to create charts and graphs.
I will be using Tableau Desktop to create a fun data visualization from my text message data to see what words show up the most in my conversations. First I will need to get my text messages from my phone. Then I will need to copy the data into a text file. After that I will need a program that takes in the text file and counts the words and the frequency of each word. Next I will need to put this data into a table (this is my cleaned data). Then I will upload that document to tableau to analyze the data and create a word cloud. Finally I will communicate the results.
- Step 1: Frame the problem. The first thing you have to do before you solve a problem is to define exactly what it is.
- Step 2: Collect the raw data needed for your problem.
- Step 3: Process the data for analysis.
- Step 4: Explore the data / perform analysis
- Step 5: Communicate results of the analysis.
Step 1: What words show up the most in my conversations ?
Step 2: Get the text messages from my phone and add it to a text file.
Step 3: Take that text file and count the word frequency for each word in the file, and put this data into a separate file as a table.
Step 4: Analyze the data, and create a word cloud
Step 5: Communicate the results of the analysis
The Actual Process:
- I will download / install Android Assistant to transfer my text messages from my phone to my computer as a .txt file.
2. Next instead of creating my own Python program to count the word frequency, I will use this tool online from WriteWords (http://www.writewords.org.uk/word_count.asp) and copy and paste the results into a .txt file.
3. I will upload the cleaned file with the words and frequency into Tableau, and create a word cloud.
4. Looks like I used the words “computer science”, “programming”, and “basketball analytics” a lot. All of the words seem to be topics on technology.
Note: I did make some adjustments on spelling just to make this small project quick and easy by concatenating words.
5. This was just a small simple example of the words that I use in my text messages to friends/ colleagues. Programming, basketball analytics, computer science, AI, and data visualization seem to stand out as words I use most often. I think this would be a fun project to do with your friends to see the main topics of your conversation ! If you are interested in learning Data Analysis with Tableau and creating charts like the ones in this article, then Tableau Your Data!: Fast and Easy Visual Analysis with Tableau Software is a great book to learn how and get started !
Thanks for reading this article I hope its helpful to you all ! Keep up the learning, and if you would like more computer science, programming and algorithm analysis videos please visit and subscribe to my YouTube channels (randerson112358 & compsci112358 )
Check Out the following for content / videos on Computer Science, Algorithm Analysis, Programming and Logic:
Video Tutorials on Recurrence Relation:
Video Tutorial on Algorithm Analysis: